Sunday 16 February 2014

Book review: FastExercise (2014) by Michael Mosley



Book Review:  FastExercise by Michael Mosley
I jumped onto this book as soon as I finished the 5:2 book. High intensity training has always appealed to my brother, who is a doctor. He has urged me to do hill sprints and the like for years. I tried. And it was painful. It was difficult to do by yourself.
So instead, over the years, I've been more drawn to endurance training. But it's hard to get up for pre-dawn sessions. And so I press snooze more often than I should. So I understand when clients tell me how hard it is for them to do exercise. Especially, if they have an image of exercise being in the gym for long sessions with good looking people around, or endless laps in the pool where tonned bodies glided in the water.
So to me, this book was exciting. Its not for everyone, but at the very least, the idea is, if the time commitment is realistic enough, then perhaps it will move some overweight people into exercising.

My psychological perspective:
 Behavioural activation is a core component of CBT. It's often hard to get clients to add exercise into their day. Where are they going to fit it in, given mounting piles of homework, housework, overtime at work? It's attractive to sell a program that requires such minimal time. And really appeals to the time poor. I'm all for anything that gets people more motivated to be active. And I'm a bit biased because there is some Australian research quoted.

I'm going to put the same cavets as I did for my review of the FastDiet. Widespread application of this FastExercise plan is not recommended. This exercise program really shouldn't be recommended to people before they seek their own medical advice, pregnant women need to be cautious, those with existing heart conditions and children. And although I've already mentioned this, you should get your health team on board before making any significant changes to your lifestyle or diet.


My Christian Perspective:
Our body is God's temple, so it makes sense to look after it a bit. To do exercise, to stay active makes sense. But the bible also says physical training is of worth, but so is spiritual training. And the risk of a heavy focus on this, even top piority, means that possibly, God is no longer first?

My overall rating: 

Excellent
This is a very useful resource or a decent use of time. 
If this will get at least one person moving for a while, then I say go for it. It's a bit too much jargon for the standard person to read through. And you would definitely consult your medical team before starting this plan. I recommend at least reading the book once if you are thinking about starting the FastExercise. Available on Amazon and other online retailers  

I obtained a review copy of this book, but it did not influence my opinion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment