Sunday 16 February 2014

Book review: FastDiet by Michael Mosley.


Book Review:  FastDiet by Michael Mosley

I'm really slow on the pick up. I only got onto this book recently after a psychologist coworker explained why he has lost 8kg over the Christmas holidays and why he was eating a leafy salad for lunch.

So like you would, I went home and googled it. Placed by order for the book, and while I was waiting, I found the original documentary Michael Mosley was in. I was cautioned, those that do the diet without reading the book may not have the same benefits. 

What I found was that the documentary was already enough to convince me to give it a try. The book was slightly redundant, given I was accessing an electronic copy. I would really recommend the physical copy of the book instead, so you can flick through whenever you need it. 

The results, within the first month, I had lost 2 kg. For my height this is a great achievement. After doing a maintanence bout, I gained one kilo back, so I will be starting the whole 5:2 again.

My psychological perspective:
MANY clients come to see me in private practice due to body image issues. Girls are too fat, boys don't have enough muscles, lean ladies have too much of a gut still, and older men have beer bellies. And even I was slowly creeping up on the scale over the last couple of years. And this is not surprising given my busy schedule and largely sedatory job. 
But for some, difficulties losing weight is a battle. Even with their GPs (doctors) on board. The diet makes sense, because it makes calorie restriction easier. You only have to get through one day, and you can eat normally the next. The degree of self control here is perceived as much easier and more likely to be maintained.
Although the diet worked for me, I do have concerns about the widespread application of the diet. 1) when I was on fast days, I found myself obsessing about calories. And this is a well known symptom of starvation, and I can quote a few studies here about the effects of calorie restriction on the mind. 2) This diet really shouldn't be recommended to people before they seek their own medical advice, pregnant women need to be cautious, those who are already suffering from eating disorder. 3) People really shouldn't be fasting for more than 2 days a week, and although I've already mentioned this, you should get your health team on board before making any significant changes to your lifestyle or diet.


My Christian Perspective:

Everything is permissible but not everything is benefical. Unfortunately, in my lifetime, I have seen that there is an abundance of food in first world countries. And tonnes of it. 
In the olden days of Christianity, people would fast more often, and really be with God during this time. Even Jesus went without food for 40 days while he spent the time alone in the desert with God. But he is God- so don't try the 40 days at home! 
The thing I like about this diet is that for at least 2 days a week, it builds self control- yes a fruit of the spirit.

My overall rating: 

Excellent
This is a very useful resource or a decent use of time. 
I recommend at least reading the book once if you are thinking about starting the 5:2 diet. Available on Amazon and other online retailers  

I actually obtained my copy after recommendations from my research supervisor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment