Tuesday 28 May 2013

Book review: The Portable Mentor (2013)




Book Summary: The Portable Mentor (2013) : Expert Guide to a Successful Career in Psychology 
The authors were like Gurus in their own rights. The book covered issues and tips from before you apply to graduate studies in psychology, through to first starting work in psychology, through to supervising and teaching students.

My Psychological Perspective:
The Portable Mentor (2013) was well written and easy to understand for anyone with an undergraduate level of education.

It was such a practical guide. I found the rationales and explanations very useful. They provided great questions to help you ponder whether psychology is the career for you. They provided ideas to help you improve your graduate school applications. Looking back at applying to a Masters in Clinical Psychology and PhD, I wish I had read more, and asked more questions before I begun. I probably would have made the same decisions, but I would have been more prepared. This book was written for a North American audience so you will have to adapt some information locally.

The book also covers some great basics and reminders about producing good quality research and publishing in journals.

I found the sections on teaching psychology and preparing for private practice very useful. I guess I am biased because that is essentially how I found the book in the first place. I was searching for hours on the web for information to take with me to a contract meeting, and here it was written out clearly to help me make great decisions. If given the opportunity, I would love to write in more detail the Australian implications of some of the chapters in these sections. The registration processes in Australia are significantly different.

But just as I thought the book was done teaching me new things, the editor throws in guidance about media engagement and postdoc fellowships.

My Christian Perspective:
It would be exaggerating to say that this book is like a bible for careers in psychology but definitely, ask and it will be given to you (Matthew 7: 7-8). This is a great guide for Christians considering psychology as a career choice. While some Christians believe that psychology is of the devil, I believe that the two can play happily together. As this current book is concerned, there is nothing glaringly against God in it.

Psychology as far as I am concerned is, an understanding of human behaviour and emotions. This book is in no way prescriptive. Instead, it gives you more information to make informed choices. When considering psychology as a career choice, firstly pray. Then pray. And then pray some more. It also doesn't help to ask people for advice, read up about it (in books like this) and to give it a go.

My overall rating: 

Superior
This is a fantastic resource or was an extremely great use of time.

Most people know me to be a fair reviewer, sometimes critical. When I mark college assignments, I find it hard to give full marks because that implies there would be no room for improvement. Well, The Portable Mentor (2013) edited by Pristen, Mitchell J (Ed) was brilliant. Even though it was written for a North American audience, I found it useful even in an Australian context. 
I wish I had something like this when I was considering graduate studies in clinical psychology. And this is certainly a resource I will point students to when they are considering a career in psychology. It would be a shame if it wasn't available at your local library. If you are looking for a present for your high school student or graduate school student, this might be it!

The Portable Mentor is available for sale now on Amazon


I was provided a review copy of The Portable Mentor (2013) by the publisher but was in no way paid for writing this review.


0 comments:

Post a Comment