Sunday 15 December 2013

Movie Review: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)


Movie Summary: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
This review is biased because I've read the books. And the only reason I read the books is because the youths at my church wanted to see the first movie. So as a responsible adult, I went to read for myself and give them my informed opinion.
I found the original book really aimed for young adults, it was a gruesome view of an alternative world where children tributes from poor districts go into an arena and kill each other with only one victor left. And the victor is promised wealth and safety by a richer Capital district. In the last movie/book, our heroine was able to save herself and her partner from death. and Catching fire picks up from there. 
*Spoiler alert*  Due to the disturbance last time, the Capital has difficulties controlling the poorer Districts. As Katniss and Peeta tour the districts in an attempt to calm down the resistence fighters, Katniss realizes that people are starting to see her as a figure of hope. The Capital isn't happy with this. This time, all victors are drawn to go back in a whole new arena. Our heroine is called back into the arena with Peeta. But when people start sacrificing themselves for the couple, they realise something is different with these games.

I felt that Catching Fire was really true to the book. I laughed, I cried, I scream, and I can say, as an adult, I really enjoyed the movie and felt it was rather well made for a sequel.

My psychological perspective:
For adults, this film can trigger so many different emotions. And may I urge you to seek help from a Medical professional should you be severe affected by the content of this movie. PTSD (symptoms include the flashbacks, reexperiencing shown in the film) is a serious mental health problem which could benefit from psychological intervention.

Suitability for children: 
No. I don't believe children under the age of 13 should be seeing this film with or without the supervision of parents for several reasons. Firstly, the triology is based on killing, you see children killing other children for their own survival. This can be traumatic for some children, and there is research to show that watching violence or playing violent video games encourages violence in children. And far from an animated video game, the characters are just too real. Secondly, Catching fire begins with dealing with themes of adult relationships where the heroine is kissing one character but is in love with another. This can be quite confusing for young children. Thirdly, the main characters use of alcohol is questionnable.

Things to talk to your teens about:
Differentiation between the movie and real life. How they felt about the killings and death.

My Christian Perspective:
As a Christian watching Catching Fire, I feel somewhat embarassed. I feel like I'm a member of the Capitol district watching killing and pain as entertainment. How much of these sins amd I committing? Self-indulgence...
I urge Christians to reflect on the inappropriate use of alcohol, profanity, nudity, violence. And be prepared to have answers for these thing.





My overall rating: 
Excellent
This is a very useful resource or a decent use of time. 

As a film for adults, this was a really good movie- it elicited the full range of human emotions. Themes of resistence is resounding. Young adults and adolescents would benefit from adult guidance. For children, I don't recommend this film.

0 comments:

Post a Comment