Wednesday 25 December 2013

Movie review: Saving Mr Banks (2013)


Movie Summary: Saving Mr Banks (2013)
Let me start off by saying that Mary Poppins is one of my favourite non-animated disney films of all time.  If I had not seen the previews of saving Mr Banks, I would have never guessed that there was a connection. The title of the film could have easily directed my imagination towards a war movie, or a movie about a Banker.

The movie is a little mix between the Hitchcock, Mr Bean with subtle underlays of music from Mary Poppins. It's fun, no funny as grumpy Mrs T tries to have her say in every part of the portrayal of Marry Poppins. And as the movie unfolds, the layers of her onion are revealed in a soft and tear jerking way.

I'm partial to the sunburnt portrayal of my country of Australia and giggled a little when I saw Ipswich and Brisbane on the train map. The film gave me a greater appreciation of Mary Poppins and Walt Disney, great job by all the actors involved.


My psychological perspective:
For a Disney film based on a lively musical, this film has very deep themes.
Mr Banks struggles with a very real issues of depression and alcoholism, marriage problems. And at the same time, his daughter also struggles with unresolved grief and resentment towards her father. And his daughter has carried this emotional baggage with her - for life. 

Indeed, the early years of development, and attachment security is an extremely powerful influence in the development of young people. These experiences with primary caregivers shapes our views of the world, shapes our views of relationships, of hope. If distorted views of reality are left unaltered in childhood and through adulthood, it is likely that these distorted views will change how we interact with the world around us.

The film has been able to delicately touch on this sensitive topic. While we cannot change the past, we can recreate a future. And I hope I can continue to help clients be able to let go of this emotional baggage. It's never too late.


My Christian Perspective:
Several times during the movie, Mrs T makes joke of how Walt Disney has God-like status in Hollywood. But the film was able to show a less beautiful side of Walt as he reveals his past and bad habits. Despite his many problems, Walt was able to create beautiful things.

I have a favourite quote from Corrie Ten Boom, which goes roughly like this...

Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see.


The best novels and creative works come from people with rich experiences, with pain and emotional baggage. The experience of pain and recovery changes us. And this film was able to illustrate that out of the roughness of the Australian outback, and the darkness of alcoholism comes a story of hope.


My overall rating: 
Excellent
This is a very useful resource or a decent use of time.

This is a beautiful film and a must for those who have grown up with Marry Poppins. It touches a heartstring for me. A soft yet rewarding experience to be shared. 
Parental guidance is definitely required for the little ones, and I'm not sure they would appreciate the art that is in this movie to the true extent.
DON'T MISS THIS MOVIE AT THE CINEMAS!


0 comments:

Post a Comment