Sunday 15 December 2013

Movie review: Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2


Movie Summary: Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2
I was wowed by the first movie. This movie was comparably a disappointment. This movie is really focuses on a far younger market, a market that may not have watched the original movie at the cinemas when it first came out. Endless pun after pun after pun is thrown with enough pause for kids to laugh. the group of kids I took to the movie really enjoyed it. They were copying the foods and retelling the funny bits.

*Spoiler alert* This story picks up from the first movie.  (and since most of us don't remember much, they review the first movie within the first 5 minutes). And our main character is once again tasked with "saving the world" by recovering the machine he created. Little does he know, this is more complicated than he thinks. His band of trusty friends try to help him every step of the way.

As an adult, I found deeper themes than kids will ever learn to appreciate. Large parallels with a famous "fruit" and "web search" innovation company where made. But after watching the movie, I am wondering to myself, if even vegetables had feelings, what on earth are we left to eat? But then I remembered, than even in the new twisted reality portrayed, even the foods ate each other suggesting that the ecosystem balance is preserved.



My psychological perspective:
Suitability for children: 
I believe that this movie is suitable for most of the family. Kids any younger than 10 should really have parental guidance as the action scenes can get a little scary. It's a fun little film for the family, but more suited for DVD release than a cinema. I can see kids watching this film again and again and again. Primarily because the storyline wasn't the main attraction, but the cuteness of individual food types. Hopefully, this film doesn't put kids off eating particular food groups - meats, vegetables or fruits. The main themes for a kid is the understanding of the importance of friendships, and putting aside personal success for your friends. 

Things to talk to your kids about:
Eating different types of food.
Things to talk to your teens about:
Importance of friendships and trust. Not judging a book by it's cover.

My Christian Perspective:
The themes of friendship is very well valued from a Christian perspective. From my own personal Christian perspective, I am a little worried that a machine can give birth to life, and not just vegetation and food, but life, including all it's emotions and attachments. It's the same argument some people use to combine the big bang theory and God, perhaps God created the big bang theory. From my own personal perspective, both God and the big bang theory could not coexist. Because that suggest that God didn't create the world in 7 days.

But at the end of the day, this is an animated film and even kids know it's not real. They are much more concerned about the cute little foods. I was surprised though, that on our way home, some of the kids asked me about Adam and Eve, and things to do with Creation, based on this film, so be prepared with answers. 




My overall rating: 

Good
This resource maybe useful and maybe a decent use of time.

The only reason why I've scored this so highly is because it's released perfect for bored kids during Christmas school holidays, and it's got enough stuff to keep adults and children occupied.

The sunday school class I took to this really enjoyed it, and I laughed heaps. This was thanks to Reading Cinemas at Harbour Town for $1 movie tickets. Legendary!

#cloudywithachanceofmeatballs2 @sonypicturesAUS

0 comments:

Post a Comment