Saturday 13 July 2013

Movie Review: Despicable Me 2 (2013)




Movie Summary: Despicable Me 2 (2013)
My sunday school kids had been talking about this since last year. And so I caved and finally watched it. Despicable Me 2 follows on from the original movie. Gru is no longer a villain and is bringing up girls based on his business ventures as a single parent. However, his help is needed to save the world. And an unlikely uncoordinated female agent becomes his partner in crime *um... *I mean partner to save the world. 

My psychological perspective:
Suitability for children: 
I believe that this movie is suitable for most of the family. There is a fair bit parents can digest with children. Kids any younger than 13 should really have parental guidance as there is a fair bit of silliness in the movie as well as comical violence. There is a lot of focus on kids dating and dating of single parents which will require discussion.
It's a seriously funny movie and the minions are cute as always.

Things to talk to your kids about:
Good vs evil. 
Things to talk to your teens about:
Dating. Single parents.  Deception/ betrayal.

My Christian Perspective:
My other concern was the way dating was introduced into the movie but this is probably not the time or place to discuss my views. There is a little article on this matter at http://www.cbn.com/family/youth/burns-teens-dating.aspx. The article talks about radical respect for the opposite sex because Christ is in us.

If you are in need of an activity. This film is a worthwhile laugh.


My overall rating: 

Good
This resource maybe useful and maybe a decent use of time.

It was funny, but I was left wanting more. The original film was so successful because there were so many new creative ideas. The trouble with this sequel is that it's predictable and there were no additional elements in the characters. But that being said, kids love repetition, so your kids will love this. 

Despicable Me 2 is currently screening at cinemas near you. And I've heard good things about the happy meal toy. 

#despicableme2 #pixar #moviereview @despicableme

0 comments:

Post a Comment