Friday 19 April 2013

Movie Review: The odd life of timothy green (2012)



Movie Summary: The Odd life of Timothy Green (2012) 
Two want-to-be parents have difficulty conceiving and together they dream up attributes of their child. Magically, Timothy comes to them as an answer to their prayers, and teaches them (and those around them) more about parenthood and life than you can imagine.

My psychological perspective:
Suitability for children: 
I believe that this movie is suitable for the whole family. Parental guidance is recommended for some scenes as explanations maybe necessary. 
Things to talk to your kids about:
Being unique/different.
Things to talk to your teens about:
Potentially, conversations about evolution, conception, being unique, adoption, death/loss.

My Christian Perspective:
It's a fantastic tale told by two wanna-be parents. Another tear jerker. When I first saw the title of the film, I was uninterested and a bit turned off. It wasn't until I gave the film a chance that I was enchanted by the storyline. The little kid is also a wonderful actor and although it's clearly fantasy, the film touches many important issues. A key problem for me is the suggestion that "human" life can come from alternative means. Sure, I believe in adoption, I believe in assisted methods of conception, but that children grown on trees, well it suggests a whole new debate on evolution. 
On another level though, you have to appreciate that this child essentially lives and gave parts of himself to others so that they could live a full life. Essentially, this Christian's view of Jesus is similar. He came, he taught us by giving up parts of himself as a sacrifice. And even though he doesn't walk among us anymore, his legacy continues. 

My overall rating: 

Excellent

The odd life of timothy green is an excellent way to spend a few hours. It's a feel good movie based on fantasy that is sure to leave you thinking of the gift children are in our lives. 

The odd life of timothy green (2012) is currently available on DVD from Amazon


0 comments:

Post a Comment